By Yvette Tello Two women are arguing about what normal is. One says the woman should take care of her husband and children and allow him to earn the money to pay the bills. The other woman says her man stays home and takes care...
Chicano Student Walkout 50th Anniversary Celebration!
Activists, community leaders, and academics will hold a conference at Our Lady of the Lake University, UTSA-Downtown and the Guadalupe Theater November 20-22, 2019 (Wednesday through Friday) to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Mexican American high school student strikes of the 1960s and early 1970s. Known as walkouts the strikes occurred in several Texas cities, California and other states.
In San Antonio protests occurred at Edgewood and Lanier High Schools in 1968. Our own Manuel Garza, Chairperson of the WETC Advisory Board, a lifelong resident and advocate for the Edgewood community, not only participated in but also orchestrated the walk outs in Edgewood. In addition to Manuel, several others, including Mario Compean, Nacho Perez and Diana and Richard Hernandez, did as well and continue to live in and/or serve the Edgewood and Westside San Antonio community.
The conference will honor the courageous students that organized the strikes and will assess the impact the strikes had on the educational system. It will also look at the current status of education of Mexican Americans.
The Conference is free and open to the public. For more information and to register go to: https://chicanohistorytx.org/. Please attend!
And the next time you see Manuel at WETC, why not thank him for his efforts on behalf of Mexican American students? Gracias!
Around the Web
- 7 facts for National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Hispanics Become Largest Voting-Eligible Minority Group
- What’s in a name? How the concepts of Hispanic and Latino identity emerged
- Washington doesn't have a Latino history museum. These people are hoping to change that
- White workers are more likely than black or Latino Americans to have a good job — even with the same level of education
- LULAC ‘freedom walks’ seek to unite Latinos
- The Latino Impact On The Major League Baseball
- Broncos capturó su sexta estrella en Veteranos Águilas de Nava se coronó campeón del Torneo Thanksgiving 2019 December 9, 2019 La Prensa Texas
- Common Holiday Scams December 9, 2019 La Prensa Texas
- Live On Campus and Study for Free December 9, 2019 La Prensa Texas