Father of the modern day Navy and great internation-al naval leader, Admiral David Glasglow Farragut was born in 1801 in Camp-bell Station, Tennessee. The most famous partici-pant of the Civil War, he led victorious Union Mis-sions against confederate-held New Orleans and Mo-bile, Alabama. Shouting his famous rallying call, “ Damn the torpedos!nFull speed ahead!” Farragut sailed his fleet into mine-filled Mobile Bay while undeer heavy fire from Confederate troops. Man-uevering his fleet, he won one of the most significant Union victories. For the extraordinary battle, he was appointed Admiral of the Navy on July 26, 1866. In 1900, 30 years after his death, he became one of the first American heroes to be inducted into the national Hall of Fame in New York.
About The Author
Leonard B. Rodriguez is the President and CEO of the Westside Development Corporation. He is a former White House Advisor to the President of the United States and the 2017 St. Benitia Humanitarian Award Recipient.
Around the Web
- Cutting It Close: Facing Loss of Income, San Antonio Salon Workers Keep Up Risky Work Amid Pandemic
- Bexar County Commissioners approve $5.65 million loan program to save small businesses
- Musicians struggle with cancellations because of COVID-19
- Texas Hospitals Brace for Coronavirus Surge with Uncertain Stocks of Protective Gear
- Cristina Teuscher May 25, 2020 La Prensa Texas
- Patricia Vonne Rodriguez, Mexican-American Singer, Actress, and San Antonio Native Will Co-Host and Perform on the Next Episode of Artist, David Blanca’s, Virtual Program May 20, 2020 La Prensa Texas
- Humanitarian Missions are Being Carried Out at San Antonio International Airport May 19, 2020 La Prensa Texas