Since his election to Congress from New York’s 18th Dis- trict, Jose Serrano has been an influential proponent of education. A member of the House Education Committee, Congressman Serrano’s saw his first bill, which provides funding for school dropout programs, signed into law in 1990. He also co-sponsored the Higher Education Act and defeated several immigrant bashing amendments to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. A member of the Appropriations Com- mittee, Serrano was key in allocating $3.3 billion for Head Start and $283 million for the Goals 2000 Education Reform. Also committed to social programs, he co-spon- sored the Brady Gun Control Act and the Cesar Chavez Workplace Fairness Act.
About The Author
Leonard B. Rodriguez is the President and CEO of the Westside Development Corporation. He is a former White House Advisor to the President of the United States and the 2017 St. Benitia Humanitarian Award Recipient.
Around the Web
- Cutting It Close: Facing Loss of Income, San Antonio Salon Workers Keep Up Risky Work Amid Pandemic
- Bexar County Commissioners approve $5.65 million loan program to save small businesses
- Musicians struggle with cancellations because of COVID-19
- Texas Hospitals Brace for Coronavirus Surge with Uncertain Stocks of Protective Gear
- SAHCC VOICES Podcast Episode 2 June 2, 2020 La Prensa Texas
- Nuevas costumbres en los deportes Lamentable fallecimiento del legendario beisbolista Guillermo “Memo” Salas, June 1, 2020 La Prensa Texas
- This Day In June 1, 2020 La Prensa Texas