Madonna Center helps individuals and families improve their daily lives through education, connections to resources, healthy aging and a sense of community.
The agency was founded in 1939 by the Sisters of Divine Providence as the Girls’ Club of San Antonio, and occupied a former residence at 403 Dwyer Avenue.
In 1941, the agency was accepted as a member of the Community Chest, the forerunner to today’s United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County. Five “extension units” were set up in 1944 to better serve the membership from several parts of the city. Around the same time groups for women were organized, and when the girls requested co-educational groups, boys were admitted to some of the social clubs. From then on, the Girl’s Club emphasized family membership and had groups for adults as well as for boys and girls of every age.
As services continued, the demand was too great for the staff time available and it also became clear that the building was far too small for the membership. A building fund drive was started and was enthusiastically supported by the staff and board of directors and, in a special way, by the members themselves who worked hard on various projects to raise the necessary money.
In September, 1956 the new building at 1906 Castroville Road opened for fall the program. About the same time, the Constitution of the agency was revised, the board of directors voted to formally change the name of the agency to Madonna Neighborhood Centers
1906 Castroville Road
San Antonio, Texas 78237