Joe R. Villarreal — Born and still living in San Antonio, he has been creating art since the age of three. He has created and has been recognized for many of the cultural pieces he has painted. Some of his paintings were part of the PBS special, “The Mexican Americans” that aired in August 2000. One of his paintings was converted into a cartoon image which was used on “King of the Hill,” a national tv show. Some of Mr. Villarreal’s work includes a painting that is 6′ x 15′ feet and was created for the halls of the new Texas A&M University in San Antonio. He was asked to paint a portrait of Mayor Ed Garza which has been added to the “Hall of Mayors” at City Hall in San Antonio. His latest creation is a cultural type statue of “El Icecrinero” (the ice cream man). The statue is made of Steel, concrete and ceramic tile. It stands over 13 feet tall and weighs over a ton. He has been working on this for seven years. This incredible masterpiece will be unveiled by the end of 2018. This is a must see. This piece is breathtaking. It captures the heart of San Antonio’s culture. Mr. Villarreal has created some amazing pieces but by far, this has to be his best work.
About The Author
Established in 1913, La Prensa Texas is a historic, independently-owned bilingual newspaper and online publication. La Prensa is the first and oldest bilingual publication in the state of Texas. In June of 2018, Steve Duran resurrected the paper one more time to not only bring a positive, diverse voice to the community and to help marginalize community access relevant and meaningful information that impacts their lives.
Around the Web
- The Many Dimensions of the Chief Justice’s Triumphant Term
- Jordana Barton: Helping Close the Digital Divide Amid COVID-19
- Mariachi Music Blog
- Cutting It Close: Facing Loss of Income, San Antonio Salon Workers Keep Up Risky Work Amid Pandemic
- Bexar County Commissioners approve $5.65 million loan program to save small businesses
- Musicians struggle with cancellations because of COVID-19
- Nestor Carbonell September 13, 2020 La Prensa Texas
- Hispanic Heritage Month Begin with Tejano History Highlights September 6, 2020 La Prensa Texas
- City of San Antonio Westside Development Corporation (WDC) Names Ramiro Gonzales as President and CEO September 6, 2020 La Prensa Texas